Concord Desktop v2.1 FAQ
Concord 2009 Product Information
Concord Desktop (v2.1) Users
If you are a Concord Desktop user, please check the version of your program. If you are using Concord Desktop 1.0, please export your data before completing one of the following upgraded options.
- If you are using Concord Desktop version 2.1, you can upgrade to the new Concord. Note: Concord Desktop (v2.1) will only be supported for one year after new Concord officially launches.
- If you are using Concord Desktop version 1.0, you can update to the latest Desktop version 2.1. Download the update link. Note: Concord Desktop (v2.1) will only be supported for one year after new Concord officially launches. Go to full Concord Desktop update info…
Since its inception, the purpose of Concord has been to help people study the Bible and the writings of Mary Baker Eddy in order to support their spiritual growth and healing practice.
Concord Desktop Important Information
Please note that this version is no longer being sold by The Mother Church. Support for Concord Desktop will be available for one year following the 2018 launch of the new Concord. Try the new program for free.
The new Concord is optimized for use on smartphones, tablets, and desktop/laptop computers. Study and listen to the new 2017 hymns (as well as the 1932 hymns), look up search terms in all the books, create lists of citations for easy reference, and more. We are regularly updating and improving the program in response to customer feedback, and we hope you’ll join us in this new chapter for Concord. Click here for more information.
What is Concord Desktop?
Concord Desktop was created in 2009 as a digital research tool for students of Christian Science. It includes the King James Version of the Holy Bible, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures and other published writings by Mary Baker Eddy, and the Christian Science Hymnal with the Christian Science Hymnal Supplement: Hymns 430–462* (the small spiral-bound hymnal published in 2008). The program allows users to search words and phrases, save citations, highlight and annotate text, navigate cross-referenced text, and more.
* While many of these hymns were included in the 2017 Hymnal, numbering and some words have been updated in the 2017 Hymnal; the 2017 updates are not included in Concord Desktop and can only be accessed through new Concord.
Concord Desktop is installed directly onto your computer and does not require access to the Internet. Your notebooks and annotations are stored in your computer. NOTE: This version of Concord is no longer sold by The Christian Science Publishing Society, and will only be supported for a year following the launch of the new Concord; no additional updates will be available for this product.
Each Concord Desktop package comes with two User License Cards for two single users. These users do not necessarily have to be members of the same household.
When the license is granted to a church or organization, the primary and secondary users are equivalent to two seat licenses, each assigned to a specific employee by title, or a single computer providing public access in a public place (such as in a Christian Science Reading Room). Neither seat may be assigned to a household.
What this means is that if you purchase Concord Desktop from a Reading Room for personal use (ie. not as an employee of a church or organization) then you are the primary user. You may split the cost of Concord with one other person and each take a license.
If your church or organization (CSO, Christian Science nursing facility, etc.) purchases Concord Desktop from a Reading Room for their employees’ use, the expectation would be that they are using Concord in accordance to their role within the organization. We expect that a church may buy Concord Desktop for their Readers, but when a Reader’s term is finished, the license (owned by the church, not the individual) would pass to the new Reader and the previous Reader would uninstall Concord Desktop from their personal computer.
Concord’s Core Functions
Concord Desktop will give you access to Concord’s five core areas: search, book navigation, text (including highlighting and annotations), hymnal player, and notebooks.
Concord Desktop allows you to search with keywords, phrases, or citations from the Bible, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy, Eddy’s other writings, and the Christian Science Hymnal with the 2008 Hymnal Supplement (no longer available in print). The 2017 Hymnal Supplement is not included in Concord Desktop and can only be accessed through the new Concord program.
Concord contains clickable tables of contents for all of the books in the study library.
Concord contains the full text of the King James Version of the Holy Bible, all of the writings of Mary Baker Eddy, and the Christian Science Hymnal and 2008 Hymnal Supplement. Additionally, the program provides copy and paste, highlighting, and annotation tools.
Concord features an integrated hymnal player that enables users to listen to the settings of each hymn. Hymnals include: Christian Science Hymnal (published in 1932) and the 2008 Hymnal Supplement (no longer available in print). The 2017 Hymnal Supplement is not included in Concord Desktop and can only be accessed through new Concord.
Notebooks enable users to collect citations and notes around topics of study or for readings.
Purchase Concord Desktop
Concord Desktop is no longer for sale from The Mother Church. You may be able to find it at a local Christian Science Reading Room. Please note: Concord Desktop will only be supported for one year after the launch of new Concord in 2018.
We encourage customers interested in Concord to try out the newest version of Concord, available for a free 30-day trial. Visit concord.christianscience.com to learn more about this study tool, optimized for use on a smartphone, tablet, or computer.
Upgrade from Concord Desktop 1.0 or 1.5 to Concord 2.1
IMPORTANT: BEFORE you upgrade, please export all your Notebook and Annotation files from Concord Desktop 1.0. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance with this process.
Concord Desktop v2.1 included bug fixes and stability improvements from previous versions of Concord Desktop. If you continue to use Concord Desktop, we strongly recommend you make sure you have upgraded to Concord Desktop version 2.1.
How to get Concord Desktop 2.1
You do not have to have Concord Desktop 1.0 or 1.5 installed before you upgrade to Concord Desktop 2.1. If you do have it installed, please export your Notebook and Annotation data before you install the upgrade! You only need your license code from Concord Desktop 1.0.
If you already own Concord Desktop 1.0 (2009) or the 1.5 update, simply download and follow the installation instructions for Mac or Windows®. If you have data in version 1.0, please export your files before upgrading.
As browsers continue to upgrade, Concord Desktop (v2.1) may be incompatible with the latest versions of the following:
- Internet Explorer® (not recommended)
- Microsoft Edge® is not supported
- Safari (no longer compatible)
Concord Desktop requires the following minimum hardware. The latest hardware and operating systems may not be compatible with Concord Desktop (v2.1):
- 1 GHz processor
- 2 GB RAM
- 1 GB hard drive space
- DVD-ROM drive
- Audio speakers or output
Mac OS operating systems:
- Intel® 1Ghz processor (Intel® preferred)
- 2 GB RAM
- 1 GB hard drive space
- DVD-ROM drive
- Audio speakers or output
Download the Concord Desktop (v2.1) install software (requires license code)
- Go to https://concord.christianscience.com/desktop and follow the instructions for downloading Concord Desktop 2.1.
- Use the License Codes in your Concord Desktop 1.0 software package to complete the installation.
- The sealed envelope contains two User License Cards, each with a Concord Desktop License Code (that will work for v2.1) and an obsolete Online Access Code. You need the Desktop License Code to activate your Concord Desktop (v2.1) edition.The Online Access Code is no longer applicable — Concord Online (v2.1) will be decommissioned as of October 1, 2018. Instead, you are invited to sign up for the new Concord.
- When keying in your license code, be sure to use the capital letter “i” and the capital letter “o” rather than the numbers 1 (one) and 0 (zero). Ones and zeros are not used in Concord license codes.
- The Desktop License Codes are per user, not computer. As a single user, you can install and use Concord on your multiple computers without breaking the User License Agreement.
- If you lose your Desktop License Code, you can find it within Concord Desktop at the bottom of the Welcome screen. You can always return to this screen at any time by clicking “Concord: A Christian Science Study Resource” in the top left corner of the program. Also, if you registered Concord, you can request your license code by emailing email@example.com.
- Because a new Concord is launching in the latter half of 2018, Concord Desktop (v2.1) is no longer being updated. The final update Concord Desktop (v2.1) can be downloaded here. Support for Concord Desktop (v2.1) will be available for one year following the launch of the new Concord, for which you can register at concord.christianscience.com