New Concord — Frequently Asked Questions
Pricing & Discounts
- How much will the new Concord cost?
- Will there be a free trial?
- I have a previous version of Concord; can I get a discount for the new version?
- Will current Concord customers be able to upgrade for free?
- Will this be a subscription product?
- Will you have gift cards or gift subscriptions for the new version?
- What do I do with old stock in my Reading Room (previous Concord editions)?
- Will you give me a credit for old Reading Room stock?
Concord & Internet Access
- Will the new Concord be a desktop product?
- Will I be able to use the new Concord when I am disconnected from the Internet?
- Why do I need to always have an Internet connection for the new version of Concord?
- How long will you support the current Concord Desktop product (Concord Desktop v2.1)?
- How long will you support the current Concord Online product?
- Will I be able to use Concord easily on my smartphone or tablet?
- Can I do everything I can do in the current version?
- What new features will it offer?
- Will I be able to print?
- Will the hymns from the 2017 hymnal be available in the new Concord?
- Will the hymns from the 2017 hymnal be added to current or previous versions of Concord?
Current version (v2.1)
- What will happen to my data on my current Concord Online account?
- Will Concord Express still be available?
We are making a new version for three primary reasons:
- Significant changes have occurred in technology that allow for improvements and updates to Concord that customers have been asking for and of which we would like Concord to take advantage.
- Our customers are using technology differently than they were in 2009 (when the current Concord version was first released). We want to enable Concord to accommodate those new ways of use and were unable to do that without a significant overhaul.
- The cost to maintain, support, and update the current version has grown significantly. We needed to make a change to get Concord on a firmer financial foundation.
We expect the new version of Concord to be released part way through 2018.
Pricing & Discounts
We are finalizing our exact pricing and will share this information in the coming months.
Yes. Look for more details near product launch.
Yes. All pricing details are still being finalized, and will be announced in the coming months.
No. The current version of Concord is over eight years old and uses technologies that are no longer suitable for what customers expect from the product. The new Concord will not be a free upgrade, but we will provide discounts for those with any previous version of the product. We will also provide tools for migrating your data from previous versions of Concord to the new version.
Yes, making Concord a subscription product enables us to stay current with technological advances and opportunities, which will be more beneficial to you. Also, we believe this to be the most fiscally responsible approach. A subscription-based product allows us to continually move revenue back into product development, adding features, fixing bugs, and covering our overhead.
We would like to offer gift cards for sale in Reading Rooms, as well as gift subscriptions, and we are exploring all available options.
You may continue to sell them if you wish. However, please make it clear to your customers that technical support for the Concord 2.1 product will be discontinued in 2019. (Previous versions of Concord are not currently supported.)
No, we are unable to provide credit for old Reading Room stock. However, you are welcome to price the stock at a discount or sell it to other Reading Rooms.
Concord & Internet Access
Concord is built to work wonderfully on desktop and laptop systems with a variety of screen sizes, in addition to tablets and smartphones. If you are looking for an offline, locally-installable version of Concord that does not require an Internet connection, there will not be one available for this new version. The new Concord will be an online-only product — meaning you will need an Internet connection to use it. The next few questions answer why an online-only product is advantageous.
No. However, with Internet access now available in most locations whether via hotspots, smartphones, or even on trains and airplanes, customers can access Concord virtually anywhere.
Our move to an online-only product enables us to focus our efforts on delivering the best Concord experience for as many users as possible. An online-only product provides distinct benefits. By being online-only, we can deliver to you the latest updates, improvements, and bug fixes without you having to lift a finger. All users will always be on the latest version. You no longer have to worry about whether you are running the latest version or if your data is at risk by installing a complex upgrade. Additionally, by delivering Concord entirely over the Internet, we eliminate a host of performance, data migration, and data loss issues that our Concord Desktop users have struggled with over the years. And with Internet access becoming more and more ubiquitous globally, there are few places where one will be offline and unable to access Concord.
We will continue to offer email and telephone support one year from the release date of the new Concord.
The current version of Concord Online (available at www.concordworks.com) will be available until six months after the launch of the new Concord program.
Yes. A primary goal of this new version of Concord is to provide customers with an easy-to-use experience from smartphones, tablets, desktops, and laptops.
We have made a concerted effort to respond to user feedback and to streamline and simplify the Concord experience. We have kept the core functions of searching, reading, listening, annotating, printing, and building citations. But many of these have been re-envisioned or streamlined to address persistent issues experienced by customers in previous versions of Concord. When the product launches, sign up for a free trial to experience the new Concord and keep an eye on our product website concord.christianscience.com for more information.
Many! Please visit the product information page for information on the new features you can expect to see in the new Concord.
Yes. Printing will be available in both book form and free flowing text.
Yes. Both the hymn tunes and lyrics will be available to search and listen.
No, they will not be added to current or previous versions of Concord. In order for us to get the new product in your hands as quickly as possible, we need to focus on putting the hymns (texts and tunes) into the new Concord product. The new product encodes the hymnal in ways that are incompatible with previous versions of Concord and so we cannot easily add the new hymnal to previous versions.
Current version (v2.1)
We’re actively designing tools to migrate your data to the new version, should you choose to upgrade. If, however, you choose not to subscribe to the new Concord, we will help you download your data to your personal computer so that you don’t lose it.
Eventually, Concord Express will be converted to the new version of Concord. We are working actively with the JSH team to determine the best way to accomplish this integration. We will have more information in the coming year about what this will look like.